Friday, July 2, 2010

Nickel Diner - Downtown LA

Photobucket

Nickel Diner is a solid 3 Smile diner. The food is decent. The atmosphere is a mixture of hipster and old people (and a bunch of anime convention attendees with brightly colored wigs - but I think that's only because the Anime Convention was in town). The noise level was a bit loud for my taste; it's a good place to take someone you don't really want to talk to. Overall, I've had better, I've had worse.

Well, then why bother writing about it at all?

Because the serve bacon donuts.

Photobucket

Yes, those are donuts with real bacon sprinkled on top.

When my lunchmate finished her lunch she said, "I'm fattened and happy," and then she started pawing at the air with her hands. I asked if she was kneading like a kitten, and she said, "Yes, in anticipation of bacon donuts." Girl knows how to prepare.

Anyhoo, the donuts were delicious. I think an improvement would be some maple icing smeared on top, but I'm not going to complain.

And I didn't try it, but the waitress mentioned a dessert called the Irish Car Bomb, which involved some sort of Guinness goodness outside and Jameson goodness inside. Any place that puts bacon and bourbon in their desserts gets a thumbs up from me.

524 South Main Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013-1422
(213) 623-8301
Open Tue-Sat 8am-3:30pm, 6pm-11pm; Sun 8am-3:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment